Thursday, August 29, 2013

The lesser asked HOW - since y'all know the why...

I am on cloud nine right now! I just got my Vitamix delivered and just stuffed the fridge full of kale, spinach and so many other veggies/fruits that I cannot wait to emulsify... BUT I digress.

I often get asked why in regards to my new paleo lifestyle but the how I stumbled upon this amazing new way of living is far more interesting and seems like "destiny." (Aw. Big softie!)

One blog, three words (and an ampersand): Bacon & Skinny Jeans.



The author (although she seldom writes now as she is busy kicking people's asses with Crossfit and running her site Superhero Unleashed) is Emily Schromm and she is what many call a "paleo goddess." Why?

  • Her body is on point,
  • Her exercise is intense,
  • She fucking loves bacon and;
  • She lives in Denver (I'm adding this since it's my dream location)


When she isn't busy shaping her life and changing others' (she's also a Certified Personal Trainer and competes regularly with Crossfit), she's shouting from the mountain tops of Colorado (or Thailand for those watching MTV's Challenge Rivals II where she's currently - you guessed it - kicking ass) about how to become "your own superhero." Pretty inspirational and motivational if you ask me - I want superpowers from bacon too, damn it!

Anyhow, I clearly am not in Denver (as seen by my sad face and sweat stains from just merely walking to and from my car IN THE GARAGE) so I've always followed her Twitter and Facebook closely to see what workouts I could snag and what foods I could try.





Things intensified as I saw she was beginning a 21-day "Superhero Blueprint Challenge" earlier this month. Her request? Go with her for three weeks on a (less-strict) Paleo and exercise journey. No grains, no alcohol, no sugar - no crap (peanuts she deemed were fine, same with full-fat dairy if it doesn't bother your gut). I saw it as an interesting challenge and a way to shake things up a bit - something to do to see if I'd notice a change and vainly get back into the ONE pair of jeans I hadn't gotten into since about 3-months pregnant. I got my husband and a friend on board and we set out on the journey...

And here we are! With four pounds down (five for my husband, 12 for my friend), an inch off my waist and hips - but none off my thighs lol go figure - I'm fitting into those jeans that have been folded on the top shelf of my closet and I'm able to wear tighter-fitting tees that before exposed my muffin top. But really the greatest part - aside from the look on people's faces when I put butter in my coffee or tell them "yes, I really DID saute my veggies in bacon grease" - is the community that's been building on her Facebook page.




People all over the world are doing this challenge and we are all getting to post recipes, exercises, snack ideas, and so many other neat things together. What kind of "diet" have you EVER been on that can create so much excitement? Don't believe me? Go look. Or check out the hashtag #21daysuperherochallenge on Twitter and Instagram where, over the last 18 days (wow) everyone (including me!) has been posting pictures of beautiful bacon strips, happy cagefree eggs, crispy kale chips and bulletproof coffee! It really IS so much fun.

Anyway - that is the HOW. You know the WHY. Now you need to get your ass up and DO.

And don't y'all worry - I'll make sure to post as soon as I join her next challenge!

Until then - do some Burpees with Em!


No comments:

Post a Comment