Tuesday, September 17, 2013

SCORE! - Almond butter cookies

I swear - I don't know how I haven't turned into a coconut. Ever heard that saying, when you were a kid and only ate chicken tenders or peanut butter and banana sandwiches? "One day you're going to turn into a chicken!" hah! But really - I add coconut flakes into smoothies, the coconut flour in paleo pancakes or cookies (below!), coconut oil I cook with and add to my bulletproof coffee and the coconut milk that I use for everything - including coffee now - YUM!

Sweets are an intense craving and something that, in my household, usually gets answered with cookies. Unlike brownies, I enjoy my cookies piping hot and will eat an entire package of Immaculate Baking Co. cookies within 2-3 days. Since finding out that I really DO have an issue with gluten - that it isn't just a health preference at this point, I had to part ways with them. They do have a gluten-free version which is equally delicious but until they resolve their use of canola oil (I'll do a post on that one day, ughhh loathe that shit), I can't partake!

After making delicious banana walnut paleo muffins, we tried an almond butter cookie recipe. Now, my husband doesn't enjoy peanut butter as he didn't grow up with PB&J (blasphemy, right??) and isn't a fan of almond butter either but throw a sweet craving his way and he will try just about any paleo-friendly dessert. (side note: my sweet cravings have been handled... sorta... with the return of candy corn - hey! don't you judge me!)

I got the recipe from here, who got it from another site. It's been tested, shared and is absolutely delicious! We usually make half the recipe and it yields 4-5 cookies.

©cavewomanmom


(Paleo-friendly) Almond Butter Cookies
  • 1 cup almond butter
  • 1/3 raw, local honey
  • 1 cage-free egg
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (or your choice of nut, dried fruit, etc.)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
  2. Mix almond butter, honey, egg and baking soda.
  3. Mix in coconut flour.
  4. Add your chocolate chips (or whichever "treat" you chose!)
  5. Using parchment paper (these stick a bit), pour your cookies whatever size you'd like them.
  6. Bake for 10 minutes or so, until golden brown.
  7. Let cookies cool on sheet for 5-10 minutes, depending on your patience level ;) and enjoy!
These cookies tend to look dry as hell but I swear, they're fluffy and oh-so-fragile. They are also delicious the next day if stored air-tight. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment