Saturday, September 7, 2013

Are you ready for some... salsa?!

I know the weekend just began but in my house, every other week is a three-day weekend and I often get lost in the shuffle so I totally forgot it's Saturday not Sunday.

Alas, I made my favorite salsa recipe for the games that are now not until tomorrow and thought: "hey I should post this!" either for when I inevitably lose my handwritten one or for when my friend's ask again how I made it. I also got some amazing tomatoes from the local farmers market on Thursday and couldn't wait to use them!

So here you go - the consistency is a bit thinner (it reminds me a lot of Chilis' salsa which is my favorite thing to get when I go) than traditional salsa but YUM:





Cavewoman Mom's Game Day Salsa
  • 1 can of tomatoes and green chiles (14.5 ounces)
  • 3 or 4 (depending on size) tomatoes (or a 14.5 ounce can, plus its juice)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeƱos (or canned, just don't use pickled)
  • 1/4 cup yellow onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  1. Combine the jalapeƱos and onion in a food processor or blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend for a few seconds to get them into smaller pieces (certainly no need to dice beforehand!)
  2. Add tomatoes, garlic salt and cumin and blend/process until the desired consistency is reached. I really like my salsa more like picante sauce so I let it go in my Vitamix on speed 3 before turning up to 10 for a few seconds.
  3. Chill! I swear - it tastes even better after being in the fridge for a few hours!


The yield is A LOT - we usually half the recipe unless it's a big get-together - around 32oz or so! Enjoy :) comment with some of your favorite ways to eat salsa - especially if it's paleo friendly.

-cwm

No comments:

Post a Comment